Then I got busy with the drill and a bit a little bigger than the metal rod and made a hole in each piece of driftwood. I have to admit to splitting a couple pieces and having to replace them. I threaded them on the rod until I had almost the width of the window casing.
I purchased wooden balls with one flat side at the hobby store and drilled a hole in two of them with a bit exactly the same size as my metal rod, then inserted pencils into the holes and stuck them in a block of styrofoam so that I could easily paint them. When they were dry I put them on the ends of the rod using a little dab of good glue.
The brackets are simple cup hooks screwed into the window casing. All I had to do was lay the rod into the hooks and voila! Beachy, unusual and fun."