Sunday, February 28, 2010

Boat Bag #1


This weekend's project was a boat bag. I selected an indoor/outdoor nautical print fabric with a solid canvas. I quilted the fabric before sewing the bag together -- a move I regretted later as it produced seams that were far too thick for my sewing machine to handle -- lesson learned -- heavier fabric, no quilt; light fabrics, quilt. The other thing I'd do differently is lengthen the handles so you could carry the bag more comfortably on your shoulder. I would not quilt the handle fabric again as the support stitching then looks a bit goofy. The size is great though at 17"W x 15"H x 5"D. It also has a nice pocket on the outside and large pocket on the inside. I was originally thinking I could make these and sell through Float, but given the time it took for me to construct, I'd have to charge $800! I now have a new appreciation for Vera Bradley's pricing!

Watch for Boat Bag #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment