Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Driftwood Valance

This post is compliments of my friend Ruth who created this unique valance out of driftwood pieces and I wanted to share it with all of you!



 
"Here are the pictures you wanted of my driftwood valance.  After several beach walks I had enough pieces to span the window.  I laid them all out on the basement floor until I was satisfied with the arrangement.  I was able to purchase a metal rod in the correct length from my favorite local hardware store but if you couldn't get the correct length a longer one could be cut down.  I chose metal over a wooden dowel for overall sturdiness.

Then I got busy with the drill and a bit a little bigger than the metal rod and made a hole in each piece of driftwood.  I have to admit to splitting a couple pieces and having to replace them.  I threaded them on the rod until I had almost the width of the window casing.

I purchased wooden balls with one flat side at the hobby store and drilled a hole in two of them with a bit exactly the same size as my metal rod, then inserted pencils into the holes and stuck them in a block of styrofoam so that I could easily paint them.  When they were dry I put them on the ends of the rod using a little dab of good glue.

The brackets are simple cup hooks screwed into the window casing.  All I had to do was lay the rod into the hooks and voila!  Beachy, unusual and fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment